The ODI World Cup 2023 has been exciting, with the final match set to conclude on November 19 at the Narendra Modi Stadium. Fans are eager to know who the top contenders are for the ‘Player of the Tournament’ award. Here, we take a look at the leading candidates for this prestigious accolade.
With only few matches left in the tournament, the top contenders for the Player of the Tournament award come from the top four teams participating. Let’s take a look at the top five players who have excelled in the World Cup 2023.
1. Virat Kohli: Kohli has set a new record for the most runs in a single ODI World Cup, with 711 runs to his name. He has also scored three centuries and five half-centuries in the tournament.
2. Marco Jansen: Jansen has made a mark in the World Cup with 157 runs and an impressive 17 wickets. His outstanding performance has overshadowed his experienced teammates.
3. Mohammed Shami: Shami has taken 23 wickets in just 6 innings, with an exceptional average of 9.13. He is now one wicket away from entering the top 5 highest wicket-takers in ODI World Cup history.
4. Adam Zampa: Despite a slow start, Zampa has made a strong comeback, taking a total of 22 wickets in 9 innings. He has outperformed his teammate Josh Hazlewood, who has 12 wickets to his name.
5. Rachin Ravindra: Ravindra emerged as New Zealand’s highest run-scorer in the tournament, scoring 578 runs and three centuries, leading his team to the semifinals.
The performances of these top contenders have been exceptional and have certainly caught the eye of cricket enthusiasts. The competition for the Player of the Tournament award is intense and these players have proven themselves as deserving candidates.